Monday 1 July 2013

New Experiences

Back in January, I promised myself this would be a year of new experiences... and I certainly lived up to that this week!

Earlier in the week I met up with one of my best Burlesque friends, Glorian Gray, and headed across to Queensway Ice Rink... Having not been ice skating for around fifteen years I wasn't even expecting to be able to stay upright but I amazed myself by the end of the session by learning how to (briefly) skate on one leg, go round in a spiral, and (sort of) skate backwards!

Off Ice Skating with Glorian Gray

A couple of days later I achieved a New Years Resolution I had made myself in 2012 - I hosted a show! I have wanted to host for a long time but it's a difficult thing to get into: a host is the most important part of a show as they hold everything together, get the audience on side, make sure everyone is prepared for each act and be an entertainer themselves. While there are newcomer nights for performers, there are no such nights for hosts, so it's very much a 'sink or swim' situation.

While I have no problem singing on stage, I've always been reluctant to speak as I hate the sound of my own voice - I feel like I sound like a posh twelve-year old! However I am never one to shy away from a challenge so when I was offered the opportunity to host a Friday night at the gorgeous Privee Knightsbridge, I grabbed at it with both hands!

Mirror Picture! With Victoria at Privee

I'm not going to say I was perfect, because obviously I wasn't, but you know what - I did okay! I had a few stomach churning moments; being told by a table of women to 'F**k off' halfway through a song, and no one standing up for the planned audience participation - and I will admit that those moments really threw me. However for the most part everyone seemed to enjoy the show - my songs went well, I remembered everything I'd planned to say and surprised myself by actually being a little bit funny! I even had a couple of people after the show ask for my business card with regard to booking me for their company corporate parties!!

And that's about it for this week - I'll leave you with a couple of my favourite pictures from a recent shoot with Taz Zebrowski Photography.
xx

 

  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment